Saturday 15 February 2020

BLANKETY BLANK

HORSE RACING, INDOOR ATHLETICS, BALA 1 TNS 1
ALL OVER THE PLACE @ INDOORS
15 FEBRUARY 2020 --- 1PM
MAES TEGID HOME OF BALA TOWN ANY EXCUSE TO SHOW THIS GORGEOUS SETTING
By 1pm I was frantically flicking through the TV channels with dire cries of where is 'World of Sport come on Dickie Davies' if I don't find you in a minute I'm off to watch Grandstand on the BBC.  You see it had been that long since a Saturday for me had not featured some live sport and after last weeks rescue act by Tupton RUFC in the imminent threat of an arriving storm today it would be storm
Dennis just seven days later that would scupper all efforts.  This week had even seen a few train pictures taken in the calm couple of hours and that is the excuse for dropping them in here because there certainly isn't any sports ones.
THE GORGEOUS NORTHERN BELLE ON FRIDAY NAVIGATING DERBYSHIRE
So the strong winds and rain would make any chances of a game a lottery and if I had been going in a car I would have risked 3g games at Pleasley for the switched Sherwood v Shirebrook game where there is little protection and only limited spectator access.  You could have added Wollaton Ressies game moved to Basford to that list but with both games requiring double decker travel I thought
50mph plus winds may not be conducive to a relaxing day on the top deck and the likelihood of the service being suspended was high, bearing in mind many rail lines and roads were blocked last weekend.
THE BADGE OF THE CHAMPIONS TNS FC
Reality finally struck home I was not going anywhere, surely it wasn't that bad from a comfy chair behind a double glazed window and with a radiator in close proximity it seemed almost balmy outside.  Pre match meal was tomato soup just to get into the ground hopper swing of things.
Horse racing from Ascot and Haydock Park passed a little while with some great fortitude showed by jockey and beast alike in the conditions and if like me and Mr R from the Buxton Parish we still haven't got a clue to where the heck Kempton actually is.
Indoor athletics from Glasgow passed a few more minutes and with the rain appearing to abate and no sign of Kent Walton introducing the wrestling the option of a pie and confectionary selection from the local shop came to the fore.  Downhill saw a bemoaning of the fact that I had been a northern softy it wasn't bad out here at all but by the time I had remerged with a fantastic Jones of Huddersfield pie, something I had discovered in the Huddersfield Cricket League a few years ago, plus additions it was blowing a gale and the rain was striking my face with the threat of serious damage to ones good looks.  So 'half time' over and suitably re stocked I still had last nights Welsh Premier league game to watch featuring Bala and reigning champions TNS it all ended relatively tamely in a one all draw but it did allow Connahs Quay who secured a 4-0 victory to go top of the table by one point with the two protagonists meeting next week.
End conclusion sees me thinking I could do this every week.........alright no I definitely could not, now what time is Blankety Blank on.
A FORMER EMR NOW EMT MERIDIAN HEADING SOUTH

No comments:

Post a Comment